Located on the Delaware Bay in Sussex County, Lewes is a popular beach destination. Lewes is one of the principal cities in Delaware’s rapidly growing Cape Region. Proudly known as “The First Town in The First State” Lewes was incorporated in 1818 and remains a strong, vibrant community.
The Lewes Board of Public Works (BPW) serves as the city’s electric, water, and wastewater, and storm water utility. As a locally owned and operated utility, the Lewes BPW is governed by an elected body chosen by its customers. As part of DEMEC, Delaware’s only joint action agency, the Lewes BPW provides low cost, highly reliable electric service.
The City of Lewes residents have the privilege of sending their children to the Cape Henlopen School District while also having the University of Delaware’s College of Earth, Ocean and Environment located right in their backyard. Lined with several parks, lighthouses, beaches, and local businesses, Lewes has something for everybody. Whether you are opening a business, retiring, or just visiting, Lewes is sure to be a destination you do not want to miss.
- Population (2022 US Census Bureau Population Estimate): 3,420
- Businesses include: Beebe Medical Center, SPI Pharma, Inc., and tourist services
- Renewable Energy Projects: University of Delaware Wind Turbine (2 megawatts, partnership with UD and DEMEC)
- National Utility Awards: Gold Level Reliable Public Power Provider (RP3) Designation and Excellence in Reliability Award from the American Public Power Association (APPA)
- Residential Customer Energy Savings Tools
- Energy Efficiency Program: Efficiency Smart https://www.efficiencysmart.org/lewes-delaware
- Benefits consumers, small businesses, and large commercial customers
- Free service
- Extension of Lewes BPW’s electric utility & DEMEC
- Helps customers lower their electric bills and take control of their energy usage
- Provides free technical analysis for businesses to help determine the most cost effective options
- Vendor neutral program – allows businesses to maintain vendor contracts for equipment/services