DEMEC Accounting Analyst
This is a new mid-level, full-time position responsible for all areas relating to corporate financial accounting, records management and reporting the operations of a joint action electric utility. The position reports directly to the Director of Accounting & Settlements. The position requires a meticulous and self-motivated individual who can work both independently and within a team and has strong interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal. The position requires an undergraduate degree or significant experience in the accounting and reporting functions of a corporation.
- This position will be responsible for assisting in development and maintenance of accounting principles, practices, and procedures to ensure accurate accounting of all utility transactions and timely financial statements.
- Performing the functions of billing, accounting, accounts receivable and accounts payable processing, banking, credit card, and investment statement reconciliations and preparation of monthly internal reporting to the Agency management, member utilities, and the Board of Directors.
- Assure that assigned work is properly completed in a timely and accurate manner. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of accounting activities including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, billing, accounts receivable and accounts payable processing.
- Assists with external reporting to vendors, trading counterparties, financial institutions and bond holders. Assists with year-end audit preparation and the support of budget and forecast activities.
- Maintain the corporate accounting system and data base for billing and reporting of power supply, power plant operations, and PJM market settlements. This includes weekly and monthly financial settlements with PJM and external counterparties.
- Manage effective and accurate communication and data reporting activity between the company and its vendors, contractors, contract service providers, power plant staff, consultants, regulatory agencies and external parties. Respond to inquiries from senior management regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Update and maintain multiple history database files on a monthly/annual basis. This includes analytic review of the monthly/annual data collected.
- Collaborate with other staff to support overall corporate goals and objectives.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Senior Management.
Competencies – Knowledge, Skills, Behaviors, Personal Characteristics:
Mastery of the following key competencies is also required:
- Adaptability – treats change and new situations as opportunities for learning or growth; identifies the benefits of change.
- Analysis and Problem-Solving – Identifies problems; involves others in seeking solutions; demonstrates strong abilities to evaluate relevant information; conducts appropriate analyses and interprets the outputs to assess performance and influence business decisions; searches for best solutions; responds quickly to new challenges.
- Continuous Improvement – ability to evaluate a business situation and generate ideas for solutions; analyzes the potential effect or impact of each solution; selects appropriate solutions.
- Dealing with Ambiguity – ability to remain positive in new or complex situations; manages change effectively; moves between tasks without having to finish each one; considers the best alternatives when all of the information is not readily available; is comfortable with risk and uncertainty.
- Decision-Making – secures and compares information from multiple sources to identify business issues; recognizes the need for additional information and asks questions to obtain it; commits to an action after weighing alternative solutions against important decision criteria; includes others in the decision-making process as warranted to obtain good information; makes the most appropriate decisions; ensures buy-in and understanding of the resulting decisions.
- Drive for Results – assumes personal responsibility for organizational achievement; challenges others to do the same; champion for quality and timeliness; persists despite obstacles.
- Initiating Action – takes prompt action to accomplish objectives and achieve goals beyond what is required; being proactive.
- Leverage System Capabilities – understands and navigates financial systems to extract relevant information; assesses and monitors technology risks and associated issues with automated vs. manual business processes.
BA/BS in Business with an emphasis in Accounting preferred.
Technical Skills and Prior Experience
- Experience with Quickbooks accounting software.
- Must be PC-proficient and able to thrive in a fast-pace setting.
- Must have strong experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint and Word software applications.
- Strong Analytical skills required.
- Must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills. Strong interpersonal and customer service skills required.
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure and meet deadlines required.
- Ability to adapt to an ever-changing industry.
- Understands the role of accounting in the organization and its impact on the overall financial operation, including its application to reporting, analysis, and decision making.
The marginal functions of this position have not been included. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed. An employee will be required to follow any other job-related duties required by Senior Management.
To apply: Send a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to email@example.com. This position will be open until filled.
DEMEC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.