Delaware Municipal Electric Corporation (DEMEC) is seeking a technical person for a new full-time position responsible for the timely and accurate compliance reporting for a 100MW, single cycle, peaking power plant. Regulating agencies include DNREC, NERC, EPA, and PJM. The position reports to the Director of Beasley Operations & Compliance. The position requires an undergraduate degree and/or commensurate experience with electric utility operations and compliance with regulatory requirements, preferably in a public power environment. The position requires a self-motivated, technical individual with demonstrated experience or knowledge in the operations of generation assets, electric distribution systems, regulatory reporting, and member relations. Timely and accurate verbal and written communication with senior management, members, and external parties is a core requirement of this position.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: (including the following)
- Oversees the implementation of all the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) Critical Infrastructure Protection standards’ monthly, quarterly, and annual compliance actions assigned to the Delaware Municipal Electric Corporation’s Beasley Power Station to remain in compliance with the federal regulatory requirements.
- Works with the IT System Administrator to assure compliance with NERC and other cybersecurity requirements.
- Oversees the implementation of all DNREC Title V-AQM standards’ monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual compliance actions assigned to the Delaware Municipal Electric Corporation’s Beasley Power Station to remain in compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements.
- Manages DEMEC’s non-conformance process to document potential non-compliances of standards and regulations to DNREC, EPA, NERC, FERC, and PJM; coordinates the evaluation of each occurrence for possible generic implications, tracks and documents the implementation of corrective action for each occurrence to correct and prevent recurrence of nonconforming condition.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and on-going activities of the compliance efforts, which cover procedure updates, evidence gathering and management, and tracking of requirements and reporting established by external agencies.
- Serves as a liaison between the company and regulatory entities, which may include DNREC, EPA, NERC, PJM, and other entities on compliance-related needs including reporting requirements.
- Assists with the preparation and submittal of all compliance and regulatory reports and other federal and state reporting relating to the Beasley Power Station and member’s distribution systems.
- Conducts departmental self-assessments to identify gaps and works with applicable personnel to implement mitigation plans to address potential concerns in a timely manner and implements process improvements focused upon ensuring programmatic conformance and regulatory compliance.
- Identifies potential programmatic risks/weaknesses and takes action to institute required process steps to eliminate and/or mitigate the impacts of potential risks.
- Develops processes, procedural controls, and implementation mechanisms for achieving and sustaining compliance with the requirements of DNREC, EPA, NERC, and PJM standards and regulations.
- Coordinates regulatory audits preparation activities to ensure potential non-compliance issues are identified and corrected.
- Communicates with ACES to ensure DEMEC’s interests in the NERC Standards Development Process are addressed when new draft standards are proposed or existing standards undergoing review are posted for comments by NERC.
- Manages the storage of required DNREC, EPA, NERC, and PJM compliance documentation and evidence by DEMEC to ensure this material is available for regulatory audit.
- Collaborates with Subject Matter Experts (SME) to prepare responses to regulatory requests for information, including but not limited to compliance audits, requests for information, and self-certifications.
- Plans, develops, implements, and tracks training and procedures for various affected departments, i.e., Power Plant Operators and IT, to ensure compliance with rules established by the various regulatory agencies including DNREC, EPA, NERC, and PJM.
- Assists in preparation of documents in support of permitting and licensing for submission to DNREC, EPA, NERC, and PJM and follows through to approval.
- Attends meetings to represent DEMEC in relation to compliance, as necessary.
- Oversee air quality testing and help mitigate air quality results and issues identified during testing procedures. Working closely with operations and the testing teams to mitigate issues that may arise during the testing procedure.
- Research new and emerging regulatory activities affecting DEMEC and provides updates to senior management and various DEMEC departments as needed and provide recommendations.
- Facilitates outreach to promulgate information related to company compliance requirements to ensure affected departments are knowledgeable and up to date with all requirements.
- Assists in developing, tracking, calculating, and reporting of corporate compliance metrics to senior management.
- Works with the Director of Beasley Operations and Compliance to understand the formulated and executed dispatch philosophy which goal is to maximize plant contribution to margin and minimizing congestion-related costs to members. Works to learn other various aspects of Beasley Plant operations.
- Prepare and maintain all local, state and EPA permits, and make all required regulatory filings accurately and in a timely manner. Assist with the scheduling and contractor performance for all testing for regulatory and/or operational reliability of the Beasley Power Station. Submit timely filing of all regulatory reports and testing results.
- Manage communication and coordination of activities between the agency and member utilities, contract providers, and regulatory agencies. Provide support services and consulting to member distribution utilities relating to customer contacts, system reliability and other issues as required. Support distribution of operational information to board members and member utilities.
- Assist with the monitoring and preparation of filings at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, the Delaware Public Service Commission, DNREC, EPA and the PJM Interconnection LLC.
- Assist in evaluating current and proposed systems and procedures. Recommend changes when necessary and assists in implementation of new processes.
- Prepare and report to internal and external parties, as necessary.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a related field with five (5) years of relevant experience or any other combination of experience and training which provides an equivalent to the minimum desirable employment standards.
Significant experience in regulatory, compliance, operations, engineering, power plant, Control Systems, Energy Management Systems, SCADA, cyber-security, and/or physical security related experience strongly preferred.
Required Qualifications (knowledge, skills, and abilities):
Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the position include the following:
- Advanced knowledge of administrative practices, principles, and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of regulatory compliance and protocols
- Comprehensive knowledge of DNREC protocols
- Experience and excellent knowledge of trending communication tools, platforms, with a passion to maintain ongoing current trends and awareness.
Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the position include the following:
- Excellent planning, organizational, and project management skills, including database management and procedure writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to facilitate, coordinate and lead work teams, and resolve interpersonal issues. Must be a skillful team player.
- Strong working skills in computer technology including Microsoft Office Suite, with advanced Excel skills. Skilled in NetDAHS Edge and ECAMP Client desirable.
- Strong skills with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Strong mathematical skills and the ability to apply the concepts of fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated drive with a positive action-oriented and professional approach to compliance.
- Highly accurate with an attention to detail that can stand up to the scrutiny of internal and external auditors.
- Highly proactive, reliable, responsible, demonstrating sound judgment, integrity, thoroughness, and dependability.
Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the position include the following:
- Ability to quickly learn various compliance standards and the organizations that create those compliance standards which include: DNREC, EPA, NERC and PJM.
- Ability to understand the specific business areas regulated by the regulatory agencies.
- Ability to conduct compliance activities in an ethical and professional manner.
- Ability to exercise both independence and teamwork, sound judgment and initiative.
- Ability to comprehend and prepare clear, concise, complex compliance reports, formal reports, and letters of technical nature which accomplish compliance objectives.
- Ability to multitask and properly set priorities in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to respond to unplanned organizational crises calmly and work in potential high stress situations for extended periods of time with the potential for long hours.
- Ability to establish, build, and maintain effective working relationships with state and federal regulatory agencies, engineers, consultants, DEMEC staff, and DEMEC Members.
- Ability to keep information confidential.
- The ability to build consensus positions and communicate clearly and effectively on a high level, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to expand knowledge to additional business areas as needed.
- Ability to successfully pass a State of Delaware background test.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Requires a current valid driver’s license with no outstanding violations.
- Requires adequate personal and vehicle insurance as specified in the Employee Handbook.
Essential Job Standards and Physical Demands:
- Ability to sit, stand and kneel for an extended period-of-time in an administrative environment.
- Ability to lift and carry related materials/parts of at least 25 pounds while utilizing proper safety measures.
- Lift materials, as needed, overhead to complete job tasks.
- Must be able to comfortably climb to heights up to 50 feet.
The Delaware Municipal Electric Corporation requires that all employees must consistently demonstrate their ability to be professional, courteous, and competent in all their interactions with the public, members, and fellow employees.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
DEMEC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. DEMEC does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender, identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or other basis coved by appropriate law. All employment is based on qualifications, merit, and business need. Women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Please indicate your interest by submitting a resume to email@example.com or mail to DEMEC, Inc., PO Box 310, Smyrna, DE 19977. The position will remain open until filled.