DEMEC Sponsors the 22nd Annual Junior Solar Sprint
The Delaware Municipal Electric Corporation was a Gold Level Sponsor where more than 100 Delaware middle school students, teachers and volunteers from across Delaware came together for Delaware’s 22nd Annual Junior Solar Sprint, a competition in which students build and race solar-powered model cars. Half of the schools participating this year were from DEMEC member communities.
Over the past few months, the student racing teams have worked with classmates and teacher advisors to build model cars powered by solar photovoltaic cells, or solar panels. The sun-driven racers competed for top speed in time trials, as well as for awards in engineering and creative design.
DEMEC sponsors this event to help children understand how they can use energy from the sun to power technology.
Solar photovoltaic capacity in Delaware has grown almost 3,000 percent since 2008, from 2.3 MW capacity to 71.8 MW capacity. DEMEC accounts for 53% of the solar installed in the state though it only represents approximately 15% of the population. Solar and other forms of clean energy allow Delawareans to achieve the quality of life they desire while reducing greenhouse gas emissions and protecting our environment
At this year’s Junior Solar Sprint, participating schools were: Beacon Middle School, Lewes; Milford Central Academy, Milford; Postlethwait Middle School, Camden; Holy Cross Middle School, Dover; Gauger-Cobbs Middle School, Newark; H.B. DuPont Middle School, Hockessin; Sanford School, Hockessin; and Springer Middle School, Wilmington.
The top five teams in time-trial races were:
- First place: Sanford School, Car #16
- Second place: Sanford School, Car #17
- Third place: Holy Cross Middle School, Dover, Car #8
- Fourth place: Springer Middle School, Car #20
- Fifth place: Springer Middle School, Car #21
The top five teams in design were:
- First place: Springer Middle School, Car #21
- Second place: Springer Middle School, Car #20
- Third place: Holy Cross Middle School, Car #8
- Fourth place: H.B. DuPont Middle School, Car #5
- Fifth place: Postlethwait Middle School, Car #14